How to choose which people you want to see birthdays and events
Our calendar lists all important dates and birthdays in two ways:
- In the "Today’s Calendar" page. This is the first table you see when you enter the application.
- In the “Birthdays and events” page. Has a table that lists all important dates for the next year. Here you can also search for someone or sort the table based on the name.
Most Facebook users have a number of contacts for which they may not be interested in viewing their birthdays. Especially those who play social games, may have hundreds of contacts. So probably you only want to see birthdays of the people you know personally.
This can be selected from the tab "Settings / Choose Friends". There are two ways to select friends:
- If you've registered your friends in Lists, using Facebook' s feature, you can quickly add/remove entire groups of people using the list box at the top-right. Using Facebook' s Friend List feature you can categorize people in groups like "Family", "Friends", "Work", "School" etc. See https://www.facebook.com/bookmarks/lists - we highly recommend this.
- Manually you can add/remove people. Click the links in the right-most column (exclude or include), on the rows listing your contacts.
- In the “Birthday” column you can use both methods to fine tune who you want. For example you can choose to include the list called "Work" but exclude a specific person, by clicking "Exclude" on his name. This also works the other way around (using "Include"). By clicking "Default", this removes the override and includes/excludes if the list the user belongs to is included/excluded.
Note that there is also the “Custom dates” column, so in case you don’t want to see the custom dates one of your friends has added, you can remove from here (by clicking “Never show”).
We recommend using the "Choose Friends" page to fine-tune who you want and don't want to see. The people you have selected to be added are shown with a green background. The people that will not be included are shown with a strike-out font.
Also note that when creating a calendar, the two last fine-tuning columns (choosing always or never to include some people and removing the custom events for some people) also apply.
There are cases however that even if someone is selected (a green background in the "Choose Friends" table), you still don't see his/her birthday. Click here to see why.