How to hide your age or birthday from Facebook applications
Facebook has a number of channels that your age can be displayed, so it has privacy settings for each:
1) Your profile page.
Your birthday settings are controlled from "Edit Profile" http://www.facebook.com/editprofile.php
Note however that this only hides your age from your friends in Facebook! All applications you install (like ours) can still see your birthday and share it with your friends. Not only that, but the applications are NOT able to see what privacy setting you have selected, so they can't even obey your chosen privacy setting!
2) Privacy for our application "Today Calendar"
You might want only in our application to have your birthday hidden so your friends don't create calendars that have your birthday in it. To do this:
- Install the application if you have not; It's here: http://apps.facebook.com/todaycal
- Go to the settings page and remove the option "Include me in calendars created by me and my friends" like this:
Click the save button under the options.
- If you want, you can even remove our application from this page: http://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=applications - click the X next to the "Today Calendar" application. We delete any information we gained on step one, except of course your choice to opt-out of this application when your friends use it.
3) Privacy for all Facebook applications
If you feel your birthday must be completely secret, you need to disallow third-party applications from receiving your birthday. This is a privacy setting in Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=privacy / Link at bottom-left: "Apps and Websites" / "Edit your settings for using apps, games and websites".
Then click "Info accessible through your friends" / "Control what information is available to apps and websites when your friends use them."
Here you can remove your birthday from being sent to applications your friends use.
We'd like to repeat again closing this post that ONLY setting your birthday as hidden from your profile page (paragraph 1 above) is not enough to conceal your birthday. You must follow p. 2 or 3 above so applications can not get your birthday either, even those your friends use.